is(Mutex == shared) == false?

Tolga Cakiroglu (tcak) tcak at pcak.com
Mon Feb 17 05:20:44 PST 2014

> Not everyone is fond of taking initiative, that's a known fact.
> Me, I'm tired of seeing new big features and ideas popping up
> when there's so much unfinished business in the language,
> runtime and Phobos. When I left this NG (two years ago?)
> 'shared' was an infant, today it's just a tad more than that.
> Without clearly defined (and supported by the runtime) 'shared'
> I can't see how allocators can be finalized, which in turn also
> influences that GC/ARC/whatever shennanigans... So I'm willing
> to help make it better to the extent of my mental capacity. But
> again, this thread will soon be buried deep, a more concrete
> and focused discussion begs for another type of media.

Let me tell you the people why that is happening. It is because
we are trying to solve problems without dividing into small
chunks. This is a problem in my life, many people lives, and also
businesses. If we just say that let's solve X problems (shared,
GC, etc. whatever it is), without properly "defining" what small
steps to be taken, what are trying to achieve, who will work on
which part, people will continue talking without any achievement,
and same topics come front of us again and again. The reason why
project managers exist is this.

We need better documentation as Todo's, charts etc. Exempli
gratia, I haven't seen any gantt chart like thing. It is not
obvious where we are going. If a ship doesn't have a destination,
no wind can help it.