is(Mutex == shared) == false?

Stanislav Blinov stanislav.blinov at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 01:31:57 PST 2014

On Monday, 17 February 2014 at 02:22:10 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:

> Feel free to paste these in a wiki page. Experience suggests
> that me telling people what I think is important and must be
> done has very limited impact.

I'd hazard a guess that this is in part because whatever
consensus reached at any given point doesn't always find its way
to publicity and only stays in mind of people involved in the
discussion and buried in NG postings. Wiki at least can help in
that regard.

> I've made no secret about what I think are important topics for
> D at any time, and often each had one or a few people who'd be
> obviously best positioned to work on. Yet each person continued
> to work on whatever itch they wanted scratched, which is
> entirely understandable.

Not everyone is fond of taking initiative, that's a known fact.
Me, I'm tired of seeing new big features and ideas popping up
when there's so much unfinished business in the language, runtime
and Phobos. When I left this NG (two years ago?) 'shared' was an
infant, today it's just a tad more than that. Without clearly
defined (and supported by the runtime) 'shared' I can't see how
allocators can be finalized, which in turn also influences that
GC/ARC/whatever shennanigans... So I'm willing to help make it
better to the extent of my mental capacity. But again, this
thread will soon be buried deep, a more concrete and focused
discussion begs for another type of media.