List of Phobos functions that allocate memory?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Mon Feb 17 22:02:07 PST 2014

Am Tue, 18 Feb 2014 01:01:53 +1100
schrieb "Daniel Murphy" <yebbliesnospam at gmail.com>:

> "Marco Leise"  wrote in message
> news:20140217030525.67a21dfc at org.homedns.org...
>
> > 0xFFFD should probably be used only when error messages are
> > out of question like when displaying/printing text only.
>
> What do you use for displaying text, if not a text editor?

That was directed at D development. Or programming with
Unicode encodings in general. If you load a text file and
replace broken UTF-8 with \0xFFFD or ? as Sublime 3 does, you
loose information. I think that smells and asks for a big
red message box. gedit is an editor that works this way.

What I meant by displaying text is static UI elements, since
there is no risk of propagating the error. Everything else that
can notify the user of the incorrect encoding or loss of
information should do so.

--
Marco