Compile time executable calling?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Jan 8 16:53:58 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 11:55:38PM +0000, Tofu Ninja wrote:
[...]
> I didn't just mean keeping it in sync with the source files, but in
> sync with every instance of the external exe call that might happen,
> and since I would want to use it like how ctfe is used that
> basically means any time I happen to want to "call" this outside
> program(which might be a lot of times per source file) I have to
> update the makefile. And beyond that the args being passed per call
> might be different each time... alot to keep track of.. beyond the
> normal stuff that has to be kept track of in a makefile....
[...]

Sounds like you need 'tup', which scaffolds the compile process at the
OS level so that it can automatically detect *actual* dependencies,
without needing hacks like manually specifying dependencies (which is
unmaintainable as you describe, and often outright wrong) or error-prone
custom source file scanners (which often have ugly corner cases where
they don't parse the target language properly).

Не дорог подарок, дорога любовь.