Should this work?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sun Jan 26 01:30:49 PST 2014

Am Sat, 25 Jan 2014 14:36:52 +0000
schrieb "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>:

> On Saturday, 25 January 2014 at 14:23:48 UTC, Peter Alexander
> wrote:
> > 100% agree. The key thing is that it should be consistent
> > between strings and other range types.
>
> Indeed. It is better to have to look up the name in the beginning.

If the name works well for strings, I agree. But otherwise I
prefer established function names from popular languages like
Python, Pascal/Delphi or Java.

> Also, a good IDE will give you a list of alternatives and it is
> important to keep this list as short as possible. Ideally there
> should be no more than 10 functions for any type in order to
> maximize the benefit of using an IDE. So few functions, but with
> very descriptive names make me more efficient (I don't have to
> look it up in the documentation).

There are 360 completions for a string already in Mono-D with
these imports:

import std.algorithm;
import std.array;
import std.conv;
import std.range;
import std.stdio;
import std.string;
import std.traits;

Don't bother with removing two or three function names for
string overloads. That's optimizing in the wrong area. :)

--
Marco