10th Birthday for GDC

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Thu Jan 30 04:13:23 PST 2014

Hi all,

On March 22, 2014, GDC will turn 10! \o/

This is a great landmark achievement in brevity for GDC, but we
still haven't achieved in my personal opinion any levity of
worthy note.  So much to the point I'm beginning to give doubt
myself as to how long things can continue with a bus-factor of me.

Lets talk history.

In late 2010, Digital Mars raised awareness with the FSF to start
the process of merging GDC into GCC.  Nothing then happened until
a year later when the copyright assignment/disclaimers had been
completed by most parties.

More silenced followed for a further year until the first set of
patches were ready for submission, and over the year that
followed resolving implementation issues, most were spent waiting
for GCC development to re-open for feature pulls.  Now a further
year has gone by with that merge window open and shut and we are
once again two releases away from seeing any possible inclusion.

On top of this, to this day I am yet to hear that the assignment
papers have been completed by the original author, which would be
a major blocker in itself.

Alarm bells should be ringing, but at times there seems to be an
indifference from the core community on the matter, as if letting
a valued D compiler coming up to 10 years of age go awry because
of a lack of TLC is O.K.

Before this comes to sound like a death note, please be rest
assured that my continued contribution shall remain, but some
form of serious support really is needed to speed up process and
development if we are even going to achieve any target we have
set our sights on.

Lets discuss what we can positively do about the situation and
start working together to a pillar goal in D's continued success.
  Unless the more proactive thing to do would just be to walk
in-front of that morning or afternoon bus instead of board it. :)

Regards,
Iain.