Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 2 13:04:49 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 2 July 2014 at 18:49:49 UTC, Tofu Ninja wrote:
> It has been commented on in this thread that major tech
> companies seem to always be following a fad, in that the
> prevalent theme seems to change quite often. For example going
> from high gloss(win7 era) to flat(win8 era). I don't think this
> is by accident(how could it be). To stay relevant, they must be
> perceived as having innovation even if that innovation only
> comes in the form of a face lift.

The problem with chasing the latest trend is that you're *always*
changing and it's change for change sake. Yes the website needs
an overhaul but i honestly think it can be done to look fresh and
current, respecting the current D logo and identity (using reds)
and as Walter said to serve developers with accurate and well
presented text.

The 'new' design by w0rp (http://w0rp.com:8010/) does none of
those things. He's well intentioned but even things like basic
text layout and white space usage are completely lacking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_space_(visual_arts)

We can do better.