Worrying attitudes to the branding of the D language

Alix Pexton via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 3 08:32:19 PDT 2014

On 03/07/2014 3:44 PM, Wyatt wrote:
> On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 11:40:34 UTC, Alix Pexton wrote:
>>
>> I agree!
>>
>> I started working on this little document last night while angry and
>> tired, maybe it should find its way to the wiki.
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sb4xnZUbzVRIicsfnxBFhTvRH4EOYq88wZexAuGcnaE/edit
>>

> Very nice; thank you.  Though, having thought on it some more, I would
> suggest the capital D and the two moons are the most important aspect in
> terms of a distinctive mark.
>
> The red background is currently an element of the logo design, but I
> don't think it lends much potential for iconified forms. Casting
> outward, I can't think of many logos that depend heavily on their
> background either, and I think there are merits to pursuing similar.
> Isolating the glyph and moons is pretty easy, too!
>
> But this then calls attention to the implied horizon of Mars. How
> essential is it to the mark?  I'm really not sure, but my gut is telling
> me it needs to be given consideration for at least the more ornate
> levels of the design.  So would emulating that boundary with a thin
> crescent work?  I don't have any good tools on-hand, but I managed to
> scrape together this stupidly rough wireframe that hopefully illustrates
> the basic idea well enough: http://radiusic.com/imagedump/dwire2.png
>
> This allows for dark-on-light or light-on-dark equally, with the horizon
> some value in the red area; possibly a gradient.
>
> -Wyatt

I swear it was just before I read this, that I added a paragraphlette
saying that in some contexts it may be appropriate to reduce the logo
further to just the D and moons in red for use on light coloured
backgrounds. I hadn't considered having the horizon a just a line or
swoosh, but I like the look of it ^^

A...