std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 4 05:09:15 PDT 2014

On 4 Jul 2014 10:40, "Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d" <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 3 July 2014 at 14:26:51 UTC, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

>> It's also a handy coincidence that for many platforms the targets
>> largest supported FP and *double* type happen to be the same too.
>

> Out of curiosity, how is C "long double" interpreted on those platforms?
 Just doesn't exist, or is interpreted as the same as double?

Same as double.

> What's concerning me here is that you've posted at least one example
platform where the C long double is _not_ the same as the largest FP type.

> Now, it makes sense to me that the spec _could_ be, "real == largest
hardware-supported FP type", and it makes sense that the spec could be,
"real == C long double for the platform".  But it seems quite apparent that
it can't mean both, and that there needs to be a firm decision about which
we want it to be.

It's whatever you configure it to be.

Essentially, I want to give porters maximum flexibility on this.

Iain.