Cool Stuff for D that we keep Secret

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 9 15:48:43 PDT 2014

>> The dlang page doesn't list all downloads or distribution packages, but
>> I don't want to duplicate information on two pages and keep them
>> synchronized and up-to-date.
>
> That strikes me like a suboptimal metric to optimize for.
>
>> I think there's lots of valuable information on the wiki btw, which is
>> often overlooked for some reason. For contributors, wiki.dlang.org is
>> much nicer as you don't need ddoc, git, push rights/somebody to merge
>> pull requests, etc.
>
> dlang.org is authoritative. Again optimizing for ease of contribution is nice
> but the real prize is propagating information to the end user.

+1 and I want to emphasize that I could find no mention of Dustmite on dlang.org.

Now, for gdc and ldc. Go to dlang.org. Where do I go? I click on "Downloads &
Tools". This takes me to:

    https://dlang.org/download.html

Where are there any instructions? There's a bunch of links to binaries. I see
nothing for LDC. I see nothing for DMD. I see a link on the left to "GDC D
Compiler". Clicking on that, I see nothing mentioning that I can get it on
Ubuntu with:

     sudo apt-get install gdc

Not even when I click on "downloads" followed by "Ubuntu".

The "Linux notes" should say "Linux DMD Compiler", etc.

"DMD Script Shell" should say "rdmd script shell".

"Debugger" leads to "HTTP 404 Not Found" (this is pretty embarrassing)

The navigation on that page needs a complete do-over and the most basic things
people will be looking for are missing.