Cool Stuff for D that we keep Secret

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 9 16:56:20 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 22:48:43 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> The dlang page doesn't list all downloads or distribution
>>> packages, but
>>> I don't want to duplicate information on two pages and keep
>>> them
>>> synchronized and up-to-date.
>>
>> That strikes me like a suboptimal metric to optimize for.
>>
>>> I think there's lots of valuable information on the wiki btw,
>>> which is
>>> often overlooked for some reason. For contributors,
>>> wiki.dlang.org is
>>> much nicer as you don't need ddoc, git, push rights/somebody
>>> to merge
>>> pull requests, etc.
>>
>> dlang.org is authoritative. Again optimizing for ease of
>> contribution is nice
>> but the real prize is propagating information to the end user.
>
> +1 and I want to emphasize that I could find no mention of
> Dustmite on dlang.org.
>
> Now, for gdc and ldc. Go to dlang.org. Where do I go? I click
> on "Downloads & Tools". This takes me to:
>
>    https://dlang.org/download.html
>
> Where are there any instructions? There's a bunch of links to
> binaries. I see nothing for LDC. I see nothing for DMD. I see a
> link on the left to "GDC D Compiler". Clicking on that, I see
> nothing mentioning that I can get it on Ubuntu with:
>
>     sudo apt-get install gdc
>
> Not even when I click on "downloads" followed by "Ubuntu".
>
> The "Linux notes" should say "Linux DMD Compiler", etc.
>
> "DMD Script Shell" should say "rdmd script shell".
>
> "Debugger" leads to "HTTP 404 Not Found" (this is pretty
> embarrassing)
>
> The navigation on that page needs a complete do-over and the
> most basic things people will be looking for are missing.

http://w0rp.com:8010/download

The download page is the page I've changed the most thus far. I
started by taking the different D compilers and so on and
breaking them into headings with short paragraphs explaining what
each is. I was thinking of putting sections in there for
instructions for installing on popular Linux distributions.

I'm not the best copy writer in the world, but if anyone feels
like writing something for this now, go for it.

https://github.com/w0rp/new-dlang.org/blob/master/markdown/basic/download.md

Aside project note: I'm working on the library documentation
pages currently. They are now integrated, but I'm going to be
spending quite a few hours playing with CSS and such before I
show it off.