Cool Stuff for D that we keep Secret

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 10 15:18:30 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:06:21PM +0000, Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 22:03:31 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> >Am I the only one who thinks "Responsive Web" sites, with their
> >characteristic "Replace all meaningful information with wasted space,
> >meaningless photos, and trite slogans in giant text", are an
> >absolutely horrible design that do more to drive people away and
> >trigger their "this looks like an ad, I'll subconsciously ignore it"
> >instinct?

I have the same reaction. My kneejerk instinct on seeing such a site is
to hit ctrl-W. If, on second thought, I might actually be interested in
it, my next approach is to use google's site:abc.com feature to locate
pages of interest on the site *without* having to use its probably
horribly-crippled navigation scheme.

But I also realize I'm in the minority, so I just shrug and go back to
my text-only email client (mutt) and my non-desktop desktop (ratpoison)
and browse D forums on a text terminal. :-P

> >(And they're even worse in this modern age where the only monitors
> >*available* are slit-shaped: half-height and excessively wide.)

Do they seriously not make 4x3 monitors anymore??? Seriously, one of
these days I'll really have to take up somebody's suggestion of rotating
the monitor 90° sideways to make an extra-tall display instead.

> If it didn't work, people wouldn't be doing it.

If the emperor didn't have any clothes, people wouldn't be saying he
did. ;-)

Real Programmers use "cat > a.out".