critique of vibe.d

Poyeyo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 10 17:36:25 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 9 July 2014 at 19:05:54 UTC, w0rp wrote:
> * An ORM, which absolutely must have a way to build queries a
> piece at a time without writing any SQL, like Django.
> * A framework for generating all of the SQL required for
> database migrations like South or the built in migrations in
> Django 1.7, so you can quickly change any model.

I am a Laravel developer, that's PHP inspired in Rails and
Django. It has migrations, a query builder, ORM, form generators,
etc.

However, well before we get to 'I want an ORM' stage, there are
many things to be done first, as a DB foundation layer:

- Unified database API. For PHP is the PDO objects, for java is
JDBC, it would be great to have a D DB standard set of objects,
it should have database, table, rowset, row, field objects. They
should not be part of a particular DB driver implementation.
Rationale: I can change one single line in a laravel
configuration file, rerun the migrations and seeds and have my
system working in a different DB platform than before. It just
works.

- A way to use all available SQL data types. I deal with money
data, stored as DECIMAL (30,4). The Mysql driver throws an
exception when I try to execute a query that reads DECIMAL data.
This makes the whole D platform a non-starter for the company I
work for.