Using D

simendsjo via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 11 08:43:22 PDT 2014

On 07/11/2014 05:30 PM, Chris wrote:
(...)
> Believe me, D's supposed sluggishness as regards GC is
> not so important for most applications. I dare say 90% of all
> applications are fine with the current GC.
(...)

I agree with this. The bottlenecks i my applications are MySQL and
Microsoft Office (Excel, Powerpoint, or even just plain COM). The same
bottlenecks as I get when using C#. Of course, it depends a lot on what
you do, but for my use (and yours, and probably many others), the GC
performance is something you can probably safely ignore.

A little anecdote.. I once got a 20% speed increase in Python by
"moving" a variable instantiation outside a tight loop.
  i = 0
  # loop here
    i = something

rather than
  # loop here
    i = something

The compiler wasn't smart enough to do this.