Review: std.logger

Jeremy Powers via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 14 13:45:19 PDT 2014

> Getting things changed is more difficult than getting it right from the
> start.

Very true.  The logging API needs to be right before it goes into std and
has to be locked down.  But then, no API is ever right the first time,
needs banging on to expose the weaknesses so they can be fixed.

> As far as I am concerned it is crucial in the sense that if it does not
> support severity levels and easy integration with existing logging services
> then I probably won't use it.

The logging API in the standard library needs to be able to support this
kind of thing.  Doesn't mean it actually needs to be included in the base
implementation.  I would recommend trying to see if you can implement what
you want given the existing framework - and if not, yell so it can be
changed.  What is missing from the existing stuff that keeps this from
working as an extension?