Random points from a D n00b CTO

Kiith-Sa via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 16 09:10:30 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 16 July 2014 at 15:25:22 UTC, Vic wrote:
> On Wednesday, 16 July 2014 at 12:35:29 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo
> wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> I am not sure why you think Qt makes memory management easier.
>> QObjects are generally given a parent that destructs its
>> children when it terminates, but that is merely a convenience
>> in GUI programming I think.
>>

> Yeah, I don't know if Qt or D makes manual memory easier, but
> at some point I want to find out. So if any more input, great.
> I'd hate to have to hire like so: Ideal candidate knows some Qt
> AND D Lang.
>
> I'm not doing GUI, it's a socket server w/ large RAM. Also
> 'large', if the CPU has 30meg L3, I don't think 128Gig RAM is
> large anymore.
>
> Cheers, Vic

Qt is an excellent framework, but pretty much completely
irrelevant to memory management. Its object trees and refcounted
containers are convenient for conventional programs, but if you
are doing want to extract decent performaare with 100's of gigs,
you'll need custom memory management, whether with D or Qt/C++
(and just like *some* parts of Phobos, Qt locks you into is types
and whatever memory management they use. STL would make more
sense but afaik it's allocator interface is quite a PITA)