GCs in the news

Right via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 17 12:14:05 PDT 2014

  I'm rather fond of RAII, I find that I rarely every need shared
semantics.
  I use a custom object model that allows for weak_ptrs to
unique_ptrs which I think removes some cases where people might
otherwise be inclined to use shared_ptr.

  Shared semantics are so rare in fact I would say I hardly use it
at all, I go for weeks of coding without creating a shared type,
not because I'm trying to do so, but because it just isn't
necessary.

  Which is why GC seems like such a waste, given my experience in
C++, where I hardly need shared memory, I see little use for a
GC(or even ARC etc), all it will do is decrease program
performance, make deterministic destruction impossible, and
prevent automatic cleanup of none memory resources.

  Rust seems to have caught on to what C++ has accomplished here.

  Oh, and Unreal? Yes they have a GC type "UObject", I worked on
Unreal at one point, my impression was that this originated back
with the original Unreal(circa 1998?), likely caused by the
popularity of Java at the time. As for the Unreal code base? Pass
on that.