GCs in the news

Right via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 17 15:29:31 PDT 2014

  UE4 wasn't really rewritten from scratch, was more like, take
UE3,  rewrite various parts and add new features, keep doing that
for a few years--

  Code style isn't modern C++.
No lambda, r-value refs, unique types, algorithms(everyone just
bangs out for loops), task implementation is laughable, code
mostly single threaded.

Basically verbosity hell.

  The dependency on GC is the same as previous versions, they did
not fundamentally change the object model in UE4. I think they
did work on the GC, so perhaps it is faster /shrug. They only use
the GC for certain objects(deriving UObject).

  Powerful engine? Yes for sure. If I needed to make a graphically
AAA game ASAP I'd use UE4. Doesn't change the fact that the code
is nothing impressive.

The Blueprint system technically compiles down to UnrealScript
bytecode-- but yes Unrealscript is dead, thankfully.