Software Assurance Reference Dataset

Brian Rogoff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 22 19:27:39 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 22 July 2014 at 21:23:33 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 07/22/2014 09:42 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> The point was not at all to criticize Haskell. The point was
>> that D does
>> not need tail recursion because D supports writing loop
>> constructs.
>
> Tail call support is still useful. Looping is not the main
> reason for supporting tail calls. Eg. a tail call might be
> indirect and only sometimes recurse on the same function and
> sometimes call another function.

Indeed, I recall Matthias Felleisen wrote that OOP makes no sense
without TCO because methods will indirectly call each other. See

https://blogs.oracle.com/jrose/entry/tail_calls_in_the_vm#comment-1259314984000
http://www.eighty-twenty.org/index.cgi/tech/oo-tail-calls-20111001.html

While I don't care much for OOP, D is supposed to support that
style.