Java compilation [was GCs in the news]

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 23 04:54:18 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 23 July 2014 at 09:16:57 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 July 2014 at 08:46:32 UTC, Russel Winder via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 10:55 +0000, Paulo Pinto via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> […]
>>> The JVM JIT was originally targeted to SELF, not Java.
>>
>> I think you'll find HotSpot evolved from a Smalltalk JIT
>> originally.
>> Borland and Semantec had JVM JITs as well, Sun even licenced
>> the
>> Semantec one for a while.
>>
>> […]
>>> Functional programming languages have AOT compilers and they
>>> perform quite well, almost to C level in many use case cases.
>>
>> True. Java/JVM/JIT also performs very well surpassing C in
>> many cases.
>> Indeed C++ surpasses C in many cases as well.
>
> I am suspicious. I understand that a situation can be contrived
> such that C will lose, but in normal, sensible code the only
> language I've ever seen reliably beat C is FORTRAN.

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/

There's no good reason for C to beat C++. Even if there were, it
would be simple to rewrite the C++ bottleneck in C style.
Likewise, there's no good reason for C to beat D either.

I was surprised by the Java results once they started beating C
at certain benchmarks years ago. But the fact is it does.

Atila