Java compilation [was GCs in the news]

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 24 01:34:21 PDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-23 at 21:32 +0200, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]

> I only tried Graddle because of Android Studio, it makes so bad use of
> hardware resources, pegging my i7 and core duo processors, that I
> returned to Eclipse + ADT on the same day.

I have not tried Android Studio for anything as yet. It is based on
IntelliJ IDEA though (as is PyCharm) and IntelliJ IDEA beats Eclipse
hands down for Java and Groovy working (as PyCharm beats Eclipse/PyDev
hands down for Python). For me, YMMV.

> The situation is so bad it was even mentioned at this Google IO Android
> developer tools talk.

I think this will be a JetBrains problem rather than a Gradle problem.

> This aborted my attempt to try to use Kotlin instead of C++ on my hobby
> Android projects.

Kotlin is great fun, but I only use IntelliJ IDEA for that.

> As for our Fortune 500 customers portfolio, the ones using Java are
> still 100% in a mix of Ant and Maven.

<shudder/>

I gave up Ant when I wrote Gant (*), and avoided Maven until Gradle
arrived. Humans should not have to hand write XML ever.

(*) Someone forked this to create the Groovy front end to Ant, which
must beat the XML one any and every day of the week.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk