What Programming Book Should I Read Next?

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 27 04:06:08 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 27 July 2014 at 07:13:10 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> Really? I've realized a long time ago that there is more to
> learn than can possibly be internalized.

That's the big realisation of any good programmer. I used to
think i was pretty good until stackoverflow.com opened. Boy was i
wrong. It suddenly hit me i knew nothing. Even after fifteen
years in software i still feel i have way too much to learn. Even
visiting this newsgroup i feel like a total amateur and learn
loads reading posts.

I've worked with people who honestly believe they are awesome
programmers and have mastered their craft, when in reality they
don't even understand bit-shifting or what the modulus operator
is for. Being humble is the only way to grow being a developer.

As for books, here are some of the best books i've read and
encourage anyone here to take a look. (but you've probably read
em already.)

The Pragmatic Programmer
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pragmatic-Programmer-Andrew-Hunt/dp/020161622X

Code Complete
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Code-Complete-Practical-Handbook-Construction/dp/0735619670/

Some Head First books:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-First-Design-Patterns-Freeman/dp/0596007124/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-First-Object-Oriented-Analysis-Design/dp/0596008678/

All these books really opened my eyes and improved my coding no
end.