What Programming Book Should I Read Next?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 27 04:35:20 PDT 2014

On 27/07/14 01:42, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Maybe this is arrogant or whatever, but my view is that I'm kinda maxed out as a
> programmer. Sure, there's a handful of specific things (like framework method
> names) I don't know and some concepts I don't know the names of, but as for like
> revolutionary new lessons, I don't think I've actually learned anything like
> that directly related to programming for a pretty long time.

There are many ways to grow, and the most important one need not necessarily be
programming.

Personally, I tend to find that growth as a programmer tends to come as a
consequence of problems that need to be solved with programming.  Reading about
new ideas and techniques is great -- of course I do this -- but it's actually
finding a problem of my own that they are relevant to which really makes them
sink in and allows me to feel their value.

Then there's things that are not programming per se but that feed into it -- the
research literature on many different topics, or topics such as the social and
psychological dynamics of how people use software, or collaborate on software,
or interact when using software.  Or, as Walter has already pointed out, the
ways in which new hardware, and new hardware environments, change the ways in
which software can be written and needs to be written.

Put another way, while sometimes it's useful to think of programming in a
somewhat isolated or theoretical sense, most of the time I find it more
inspiring to think about the whole range of things that programming interacts with.

And of course, ultimately, sometimes it is very good to take a break from
learning more in a particular area and go and work on other things for a while.
  We all need fun, and we all need stimulus that comes from unexpected things
that are not part of our habitual activities.