[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 27 23:53:59 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 27 July 2014 at 23:38:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 08:43:48PM +0000, w0rp via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> [...]
>> You absolutely must change your content to fit it into smaller
>> screens. You cannot send a massive cargo plane to an airfield
>> which
>> doesn't have large enough runways. You send smaller planes to
>> carry
>> your freight to that airport. If you have a table where the
>> length of
>> a symbol expands a single column too wide to fit the second
>> column's
>> content on a phone screen comfortably, you have to at the very
>> least
>> not use a table on the phone screens.
>
> I'm not a professional web developer, but isn't the current
> convention
> to deliver two different CSS files for desktop vs. mobile
> browsers? I'm
> not sure if it's a good idea to shoehorn a single design to fit
> two
> vastly different display sizes and usage constraints.

To display more appropriate content for two different screen
sizes, you use CSS media queries to change the layout, which
typically just test the screen width. You can break this down
into separate files if you place the media queries on the 'link'
tag elements, or inside the CSS files if you use the media query
syntax in there. One option in a few cases is to show one element
at larger screen sizes, and another element at smaller screen
sizes. So you could use a table when there is more available
screen width, or sections and paragraphs when there is less
available screenw width. More commonly you will attempt use the
same elements for both, and reposition the subelements in a
similar manner.