[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 28 15:04:44 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 27 July 2014 at 16:32:15 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Am 27.07.2014 00:54, schrieb w0rp:
>> http://w0rp.com:8010/library/index.html
>>

> Since the site is running with vibe.d anyway, I'd think about
> using registerApiDocs() instead of generating individual HTML
> files. This gives much nicer URLs and also avoids potential
> issues with file systems that are case insensitive. See
> http://vibed.org/api/ for an example.

I have just been playing with this during this evening by
learning from the source for the vibed.org website. I managed to
integrate serving the documentation pages from /library/ just
fine. This is a definite improvement. Thank you for the
suggestion. At the very, very least, the URLs are cleaner this
way. If this is paired with some automatic recompliation of Diet
templates too, then it could be much more convenient to work with.

I set up the ddoc macros by calling the setDefaultDdocMacroFiles
and setOverrideDdocMacroFiles functions, which sets them in the
global scope. This could be better, but I couldn't figure out if
there was a way to provide the .ddoc macros to use per Package
object or similar. This doesn't matter too much right now, but it
might be nice in future to provide documentation for historical D
language versions too in future, like on the vibe.d site.

You can see some running examples on the site now.

http://w0rp.com:8010/library/std.parallelism/

Obviously if it stays that way, some 301 redirects will have to
be set up pointing from the old URLs to the new ones. I've been
setting up a few as I go already.

I'll look at playing with the style of the documentation pages
some more another evening. I've had a few ideas for improvements,
and I obviously still need to include syntax highlighting. Is
this the library which is being used on the live site now for
that?

https://code.google.com/p/google-code-prettify/

I'd be happy to go with that for now, or whatever else if anyone
has any better suggestions. I used hightlight.js on my personal
site to some success, but I remember thinking that the
highlighting could have been better with it a few times.

http://highlightjs.org/

That's all for now.