[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

Sönke Ludwig via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 28 15:38:10 PDT 2014

Am 29.07.2014 00:04, schrieb w0rp:
> On Sunday, 27 July 2014 at 16:32:15 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>> Am 27.07.2014 00:54, schrieb w0rp:
>>> http://w0rp.com:8010/library/index.html
>>>

>> Since the site is running with vibe.d anyway, I'd think about using
>> registerApiDocs() instead of generating individual HTML files. This
>> gives much nicer URLs and also avoids potential issues with file
>> systems that are case insensitive. See http://vibed.org/api/ for an
>> example.
>
> I have just been playing with this during this evening by learning from
> the source for the vibed.org website. I managed to integrate serving the
> documentation pages from /library/ just fine. This is a definite
> improvement. Thank you for the suggestion. At the very, very least, the
> URLs are cleaner this way. If this is paired with some automatic
> recompliation of Diet templates too, then it could be much more
> convenient to work with.
>
> I set up the ddoc macros by calling the setDefaultDdocMacroFiles and
> setOverrideDdocMacroFiles functions, which sets them in the global
> scope. This could be better, but I couldn't figure out if there was a
> way to provide the .ddoc macros to use per Package object or similar.
> This doesn't matter too much right now, but it might be nice in future
> to provide documentation for historical D language versions too in
> future, like on the vibe.d site.

The DocGroupContext class currently returns null for its
overrideMacroDefinitions and defaultMacroDefinitions properties. This
would just have to be extended so that it becomes possible to inject
custom values. I've added a ticket for that:
https://github.com/rejectedsoftware/ddox/issues/51

> You can see some running examples on the site now.
>
> http://w0rp.com:8010/library/std.parallelism/
>
> Obviously if it stays that way, some 301 redirects will have to be set
> up pointing from the old URLs to the new ones. I've been setting up a
> few as I go already.

There is also a pending change for the current documentation that
changes the current link style (balancedParens.html) to lowercase
underscore notation (balanced_parens.html), so there will be a bunch of
redirects already. One issue with this is that the new style will
sometimes have ambiguous redirects to the canonical style
(balancedParens) because it removes the case information, but I don't
really see a way around that.

> I'll look at playing with the style of the documentation pages some more
> another evening. I've had a few ideas for improvements, and I obviously
> still need to include syntax highlighting. Is this the library which is
> being used on the live site now for that?
>
> https://code.google.com/p/google-code-prettify/

That plus some modifications to add D support. But my plan was to use
server side highlighting using Brian Schott's lexer in the future.