Voting: std.logger

Jakob Ovrum via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 28 22:32:34 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 29 July 2014 at 05:11:33 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> 1) Yes / No for inclusion into std.experimental

If modules in std.experimental are completely free to make
breaking changes, then my vote is a clear yes.

I'm uncertain if std.experimental can carry its own weight in the
presence of dub, but I guess that's a discussion for another
thread.

> 2) Yes / No for inclusion into Phobos in its current state

No.

IMO, both API and implementation are insufficient. Additionally,
the "current state" is extremely volatile with sweeping API
changes being made in the last two weeks or so.

However, review is on-going and at this rate, I'm hopeful it will
be good enough by the next vote.

> 3) If you have answered "No" for (2) :  list of mandatory
> changes that are needed to make you vote "Yes"

a) The *API* must support minimal dynamic memory allocation for
the normal execution path. However, theoretical *implementation*
changes that reduce memory allocation are not a deal-breaker.

b) API must specify a strong stance on threading, whatever the
form it takes.

c) This one might seem unnecessarily strict, but I think the fact
that Logger is a class and not an interface smells of poor
design. I might still be convinced that having it as a class is
justified, but my current stance is that it must be an interface.

> 4) Any additional comments for author.

The author is aware of my gripes from Github comments and posts
in the review thread.