discuss disqus

w0rp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 29 23:51:31 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 03:43:55 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> There's a pretty negative article about disqus making the
>> rounds:
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2c19of/your_users_deserve_better_than_disqus/
>>

>> Since we're considering adding disqus flow to our docs, we
>> better think this
>> well. Any thoughts?
>
> The bit about Disqus tracking users bothers me. I know that's
> what one gets with "free", but I'd prefer our own system like
> Vladimir's awesome forum software.

This is sadly the norm now. Virtually all services and software
are offered gratis and the company makes money by gathering
information on users. That's pretty much the motivation behind
everything Google does these days. I'll stop there before I start
to sound "tinfoil hat."

We could try a number of things with the site I'm building.
There's the option of writing a new comment system. Supposing we
can set up an RDBMS, that wouldn't be a whole lot of work to do.
I'll admit it would a lot easier to write if vibe.d had an ORM
which generated all of the required SQL. (Generating ALTER TABLE
statements for changes to models being a definite plus.) Still,
rolling a few CREATE TABLE statements manually for it wouldn't
kill me if I was to write it.

Perhaps there's some kind of integration with a more agreeable
service that exists. I'm not quite sure how Vladimir's forum
software might tie into it. I don't know much about the forum
software, apart from using it and having a very high level
understanding of what it does.