discuss disqus

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 19:06:36 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 17:23:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> So why do you think disqus is bad? I've seen some rationale
> from others but quite honestly it doesn't seem very convincing.
> -- Andrei

Convincing you is quite an achievement. I don't think I have
managed to do this even once ;)

I have several distinct concerns about it:

1)

It is ugly and visually alien. iframe nature is too obvious
because "it's not currently possible to apply custom CSS to the
Disqus iFrame" (c)
https://help.disqus.com/customer/portal/articles/545277-disqus-appearance-tweaks

This looks especially bad on flat static pages like dlang.org
documentation.

2)

Quality of content. Either we don't require moderation and will
inevitably get some confusing / misleading / wrong
recommendations or do require it and it will be the same as with
pull request - reviewer bottleneck. Former is more damaging than
"do nothing", latter does not make any real difference.

3)

Dog-fooding. It is completely out of the line with existing
documentation and development ecosystem I'd like to see
popularized among newcomers. We already have quick GitHub
"improve this page" links - a lot of possibilities remain for
integration with wiki.dlang.org and forum.dlang.org

Adding disqus will harm those existing (and good) information
sources for same reason why adding quick and dirty hack harm
application long-term maintenance. And the fact that you don't
own comment database makes it harder to later switch to own
comment system once vibe.d based implementation is ready.