discuss disqus

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 31 23:30:34 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 29 July 2014 at 21:47:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> There's a pretty negative article about disqus making the
> rounds:
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2c19of/your_users_deserve_better_than_disqus/
>
> Since we're considering adding disqus flow to our docs, we
> better think this well. Any thoughts?

I really don't like the idea of having comments on the
documentation - especially unmoderated comments. If the
documentation itself isn't good enough, then either it needs to
be improved, or we need associated articles or tutorials to
expand on it. Maybe what we need is a way to make it easier for
newcomers to indicate where the documentation is failing for them
so that we know what we need to improve about it. But allowing
random comments will just clutter it and wouldn't be official or
authoritative in the least (possibly even giving outright wrong
information - and it would be alongside the official docs for
everyone to see). Much as some of the comments might be
enlightening, I think that the risk is high enough that we should
find a different way to tackle the problem.

- Jonathan M Davis