[OT] Extra time spent

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 1 14:01:54 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 1 June 2014 at 19:20:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> I find that going to the garage and working on my car, which
> has zero electronics in it (let alone digital electronics) to
> be very therapeutic.

Aye, I know another programmer locally who didn't even have a
computer at home, he preferred to do woodworking in his off time
(and primarily with hand tools at that). He's currently teaching
CS at the community college.

It's interesting how often people assume people who work with
computers in some way, programmers, sysadmins, CS professors,
what-have-you are always some kind of super techie. I find that
is sometimes true, but a lot of times it isn't.

I'm on my computer a *lot*, but that's about it in terms of
gadgets for me. I don't have a smartphone, don't use an ipad or
whatever (though I do actually own one, it was given to me for a
job a while ago, only thing I've ever used it for is to watch
sports I can't get on my tv antenna).

I don't use those GPS things either, I prefer to just hit the
road and let the wind take me where it takes me. (Of course, I
also don't drive, I take the bicycle and let me tell you, the
wind is the #1 adversary out there. Yikes, a headwind can make
any ride painful.)

but yeah I can program just about anything you can dream of,
given a little time, just don't ask me to fix your viruses, the
best I'll do is tell you to reinstall.