[OT] Extra time spent

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 1 17:26:10 PDT 2014

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 21:01:54 +0000
"Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 1 June 2014 at 19:20:38 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> > I find that going to the garage and working on my car, which
> > has zero electronics in it (let alone digital electronics) to
> > be very therapeutic.
>
> It's interesting how often people assume people who work with
> computers in some way, programmers, sysadmins, CS professors,
> what-have-you are always some kind of super techie. I find that
> is sometimes true, but a lot of times it isn't.

Pretty much everyone does things for fun that don't involve computers (and
it's definitely the case that many professional programmers rarely touch their
computers at home), but in general, I would have expected that the kinds of
folks who would post here would be doing a fair bit with their computers in
their free time (especially those who also do work on dmd, druntime, or
Phobos).

> but yeah I can program just about anything you can dream of,
> given a little time, just don't ask me to fix your viruses, the
> best I'll do is tell you to reinstall.

Aren't you supposed to tell them to install Linux at that point. ;)

- Jonathan M Davis