[OT] Extra time spent

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 2 19:08:32 PDT 2014

On 6/2/2014 8:41 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 17:52:03 UTC, Meta wrote:
>> This may be a sign that your work is not interesting and/or
>> challenging enough, or you're not getting an opportunity to learn new
>> things.
>
> Or you're learning new things about pain :P
>
> But I kinda like mindless work; it leaves me more brain cycles to run on
> daydreaming and has no risk of spilling over into other times - with
> boring or trivial work I have no desire at all to keep working on it
> after hours leaving the time free for other stuff. Helps make sure I get
> to bed on time!

Yea, it's the stuff that requires an engaged mind *and* isn't fun that
are real drags (yet again, PHP is a prime example ;) ).

At one programming job I had, there were a couple days another dept
needed me for some data entry. Once you get into the flow of that it's
very "zen", and you still have a bigger sense of progress than typical
software development. And there's much less to get irritated about. So
that was pretty cool.

And manually sorting/alphabetizing/etc can be satisfying and relaxing
too...but maybe that's just the slight OCD-ness in me ;) I think I'd do
well as a library reshelver ;)