[OT] Extra time spent

deadalnix via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 5 21:02:21 PDT 2014

On Friday, 6 June 2014 at 02:21:45 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 6/5/2014 6:08 PM, deadalnix wrote:
>> On Thursday, 5 June 2014 at 14:11:32 UTC, H. S. Teoh via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>> Ha!
>>>
>>> Though, truth be told, I can't stand modern pop music.
>>>

> My (completely unfounded) belief is that nobody *truly* likes
> that stuff. ;)

That is not unfounded.

When you ship music via hardware like CD, having a lot of choice
cost money. So you need to have a large localized public (as
nobody will drive 200km to buy a disc).

As a result, the most economically efficient music is the not the
one that some people like the most, but the one that people
dislike the least.

The same goes for broadcast medias like TV.

Obviously, the internet era tend to change that quite a bit and
people tend to be more selective over time.

>> I always go for metal, goa trance and alike. That keep my
>> lizard
>> brain quiet while my higher cognitive capacity are at work.
>>
>> Right now Gamma Ray - Powerplant
>
> Yea, I'm similar. It seems kinda weird (even to me), but the
> heavier, faster, louder stuff often helps me stay "in the
> zone". If I don't have music, or if I play smooth jazz (which I
> do normally quite like), then my mind will start to wander.
>
> My coding music lately has been anywhere between
> not-entirely-mainstream rock/pop/electronic to industrial
> metal. Like Kotoko, KMFDM, Thrill Kill Kult, Manson, Crystal
> Method, Queensryche, Ohgr/Skinny Puppy, Daft Punk's latest
> album, etc. Largely stuff that would probably make most people
> go "How does that not distract you?" Somehow it manages to keep
> me from distracting myself.

Distracting myself. Yes, that is exactly it :D