std.experimental – DConf?

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 11 08:51:47 PDT 2014

David Nadlinger:

> There seems to have been some discussion regarding
> std.experimental at DConf,

In the discussions of yesterday has emerged a feature of Rust I
didn't know about:
http://doc.rust-lang.org/rust.html#stability

In Rust code you can add annotations like #[stable] that specify
several levels of stability of functions and other parts of an
API. And then you can receive warnings according to the kind of
compilation you are using.

All those levels (deprecated, experimental, unstable, stable,
frozen, locked) seem a little overkill to me. In D we have
"deprecated", that is a keyword. I think a level like
"experimental" could be useful in D too. So beside having
experimental modules in std.experimental we can also have
experimental functions in non experimental modules.

Bye,
bearophile