Swift does away with pointers == pervasive ARC

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 16 17:48:43 PDT 2014

On 17 June 2014 04:13, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 6/16/2014 8:16 AM, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> What say you to that, Walter?
>>
>> Apple have committed to pervasive ARC, which you consistently argue is
>> not feasible...
>> Have I missed something, or is this a demonstration that it is
>> actually practical?
>>

> I know very little about Swift.
>
> But I did not say it was "not feasible". I said pervasive ARC in D simply
> would not deliver the results you wanted. I doubt it delivers them in Swift,
> either, though of course I don't have experience with Swift.
>
> I.e. pervasive ARC in D would not deliver performance unless memory safety
> was discarded.

Hmmm, I still don't buy it, but I'm thinking more that it might
benefit from something like a Rust borrowed pointer to maintain safety
and performance. You like the 'unsafe escape' defense, so we need to
address that, and I think Rust gave us the answer.