A Perspective on D from game industry

Artur Skawina via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 18 04:26:02 PDT 2014

On 06/17/14 22:15, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 6/17/2014 6:12 AM, Artur Skawina via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> immediately realized that he now does not want to live w/o this functionality)
>
> I don't think I can take that kind of pressure!

I was responding to "text editor sees only normal D code" -- my
point was just that it doesn't have to be like that. But it's
something that can be hard to realize or even imagine, until one
sees the whole picture, with several language features playing
well together. Just like otherwise very experienced C++ programmers
often completely fail to appreciate certain D features, which only
really start to make sense in context and combination.

The difference that these two features made certainly surprised me;
suddenly I didn't had to write unreadable lambdas and mixins, the
code shrunk by a factor of ~three and became beautiful, even
properly syntax highlighted after a few tweaks to the editor settings.
It became very obvious that this is not just something-that-would-be-
-neat-to-have-but-D-has-so-many-other-more-important-problems, but that
it is a must-have. And it's really trivial do add - I did it /within/
the language, took ~100LOC; a proper built-in implementation wouldn't
be significantly harder.

But I'll shut up now, as apparently meta programming is considered
harmful in certain industries, at least from what I read here. :)
Wouldn't want to scare anybody away.

I'll post in a new thread instead, in a few days, once I find the
time to construct a proper example and write at least a few sentences
explaining the syntax.

artur