A Perspective on D from game industry

c0de517e via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 17 15:16:16 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 11:28:12 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> http://c0de517e.blogspot.ca/2014/06/where-is-my-c-replacement.html?m=1
>
> The arguments against D are pretty weak if I'm honest, but I
> think it's important we understand what people think of D. I
> can confirm this sentiment is fairly common in the industry.
>
> Watch out for the little jab at Andrei :-P

Don't take the writing too literally, I improvise a lot. The
point of the post was not an analysis of D or of its language
features (for that I wrote a fairly big post in 2011
http://c0de517e.blogspot.ca/2011/04/2011-current-and-future-programming.html
that also came with a survey among videogame professionals
http://c0de517e.blogspot.ca/2011/05/2011-future-programming-languages-for.html)

I like D and I think Rust is very nifty and interesting as well
FWIW. This post was trying to (badly) say something else, that
is, given that we don't see much language activity in videogames
(compared to other engineering fields) why is that even if we
have good languages, better versions of C++, we don't switch?

And the point was that maybe "better" is not enough...