A Perspective on D from game industry

Wanderer via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 18 01:21:05 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 11:28:12 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> http://c0de517e.blogspot.ca/2014/06/where-is-my-c-replacement.html?m=1
>
> The arguments against D are pretty weak if I'm honest, but I
> think it's important we understand what people think of D. I
> can confirm this sentiment is fairly common in the industry.
>
> Watch out for the little jab at Andrei :-P

My opinion: if you want D to smoothly replace both C++ and Java,
simply do the following:

1. Sane language specification (which doesn't allow a slice of a
stack-allocated array to escape to other part of a program,
doesn't allow an object to contain garbage under ANY
circumstances etc).

2. Workable compiler (that doesn't crash on 20% of code it tries
to compile :-P).

3. Stable, efficient and well-documented runtime library,
including collection classes, IO, date/time, concurrency, GUI,
graphics, sound etc.

4. A well-designed IDE written purely in D, which allows analysis
and refactoring (like IntelliJ IDEA which is written in Java),
free of course.

Believe me, after the step 4 is finished, MANY, if not most, of
C++ and Java programmers will switch to D in no time. The
language already provides many nice improvements, it's just not
practical to use D yet (because RTL is still under development,
no IDE etc).