Tail pad optimization, cache friendlyness and C++ interrop

Tobias Pankrath via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 19 11:24:59 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 19 June 2014 at 04:06:51 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 June 2014 at 21:57:40 UTC, deadalnix wrote:
>> Granted infinite resources. Good, now that we ruled that thing
>> out, can we talk about the subject, or do we need to continue
>> talking about imaginary things ?
>
> No, finite resources, and that is only a worst case upper
> bound. It does not preclude the possibility of doing better. It
> also does not say how much work it is in the typical case e.g.
> the kind of programs you wrote when you try to make code @safe.
>
> What it does prove is that the problem is computable, that is a
> major difference. Please note that the halting problem does not
> address difficulty but analytical computability.
>
> In the real world you work with typical programs that run on
> finite resources guided by heuristics. There is no proof that
> you cannot have @safe. So leave that line of arguing. It is
> fundamentally flawed.

It's not. Since the resources to verify a property are limited,
too.

If I need to enumerate all possible program states, there will
always exists a program that can run on my box but will not be
verifiable on it (since I lack the resources).

It's also not enough for @safe to be verifiable, it should not
slow down the compilation time too much as well.