Tail pad optimization, cache friendlyness and C++ interrop

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jun 20 14:28:47 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 19 June 2014 at 11:12:46 UTC, Artur Skawina via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Wait what? Do you know a single person who decided to not work
>> on DMD FE because of kind of formally (but not practically)
>> non-free backend?
>
> Well, do you think I would have said what I did if this issue
> didn't
> affect /me/? [1]

> And, yes, some people really always check licenses, even before
> fully
> determining what a software project actually is/does. Because
> if the
> license is problematic then everything else is irrelevant --
> the project
> simply is unusable, and any time spent looking at it would be
> wasted.
>
> That is fortunately not a problem for dmdfe, as boost/gpl
> should be
> ok for (almost) everyone. But the cost of having to deal with
> another
> license, for a bundled part, that you're never going to use and
> are not
> even interested in, is there. The cost of scratching-an-itch
> also
> becomes higher. Depending on person/context, these costs can be
> prohibitive.
>
> artur

I still don't understand. What impact backend license has on you?
In other words, what is potential danger you need to be concerned
about that makes potential contributions too risky? One problem I
am aware of is redistribution issue which is common blocker with
getting into linux distributions. But personal contributions? Can
you explain it in a bit more details?