A Perspective on D from game industry

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 26 19:10:14 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 09:16:27PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> Aye. Sometimes in embedded work, you're *lucky* if you can even do
> printf at all, let alone a debugger. I've had to debug with as little
> as one LED.  It's...umm..."interesting". And time consuming.
> Especially when it's ASM.  (But somewhat of a proud-yet-twisted rite
> of passage though ;) )

Reminds me of time I hacked an old Apple II game's copy protection by
using a disk editor and writing in the instruction opcodes directly. :-)

> There's other times I've had to get by without debuggers too. Like, in
> the earlier days of web dev, it was common to not have a debugger. Or
> debugging JS problems that only manifested on Safari (I assume Safari
> probably has JS diagnostics/debugging now, but it didn't always. That
> was a pain.)

Argh... you remind of times when I had to debug like 50kloc of
Javascript for a single typo on IE6, when IE6 has no debugger, not even
a JS error console, or anything whatsoever that might indicate something
went wrong except for a blank screen where there should be JS-rendered
content. It wasn't so bad when the same bug showed up in Firefox or
Opera, which do have sane debuggers; but when the bug is specific to IE,
it feels like shooting a gun blindfolded in pitch darkness and hoping
you'll hit bulls-eye by pure dumb luck.

Marketing: the art of convincing people to pay for what they didn't need
before which you can't deliver after.