std.math performance (SSE vs. real)

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 28 04:03:17 PDT 2014

]

> >> Real programmers have been using 128-bit floating point for
> >> decades. All
> >> this namby-pamby 80-bit stuff is just an aberration and should
> >> never
> >> have happened.
> >
> > what consumer hardware and compiler supports 128-bit floating
> > points?
>
> I think he was joking :)

Actually no, but…

> No consumer hardware supports IEEE binary128 as far as I know.
> Wikipedia suggests that Sparc used to have some support.

For once Wikipedia is not wrong. IBM 128-bit is not IEEE compliant (but
pre-dates IEEE standards). SPARC is IEEE compliant. No other hardware
manufacturer appears to care about accuracy of floating point expression
evaluation. GPU manufacturers have an excuse of sorts in that speed is
more important than accuracy for graphics model evaluation. GPGPU
suffers because of this.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk