Dart and D: features that could be used in D, D->dart for web programming

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Sat Mar 1 08:19:07 PST 2014

On 2014-03-01 15:19:29 +0000, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> said:

> On 2014-02-27 21:43, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> This comes up now and then. The problem with it is it makes function
>> overloading a near impossibility to untangle.
>
> We could quite easy add support for named parameters but still require
> using the same position of the arguments. I don't know if those wanting
> named parameters would be satisfied with this though.

I did implement something like that in DMD a while ago as an
experiment. See the comments below that commit:

https://github.com/michelf/dmd/commit/673bae4982ff18a3d216bc1578f50d40f4d26d7a

Walter pointed out that it should work for template arguments. I
agreed, devised a plan to restructure the whole thing to be less of a
hack and make it works for templates, then I had no more time to put on
this. :-(

This planned restructuring did lead to a transition to type-checked
arrays within DMD though, so the effort wasn't completely wasted.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca