OT: clang guys postet MSVC compatibility info

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Mar 3 07:24:23 PST 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 16:10 +0100, Paulo Pinto wrote:
[…]
> They fully support Python in Visual Studio.
>
> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/OneOfMicrosoftsBestKeptSecretsPythonToolsForVisualStudioPTVS.aspx
>
> https://pytools.codeplex.com/

Very good tools from all that I have heard.

Supports a Python/C/C++ approach very well, and this is much of what is
happening with Python, though Numba may yet change all that by targeting
LLVM directly from Python.

> Just decided not to invest into IronPython/IronRuby the same way Sun
> decided not to invest in JRuby. Very few developers really cared about
> those implementations.

As far as I am aware, it wasn't Sun who stopped investing in JRuby per
se, Charles, et al. appreciated that Oracle probably would and so jumped
ship before the Oracle buy out.

I do not know about IronRuby, but IronPython played in the CLR much like
Python does in the C/C++ world. There was a strong loyal following.

JRuby is actually a main driver for dynamic language related innovations
in the OpenJDK. Groovy gets a lot of development by people making JRuby
run faster!

PS IronPython and Jython do not have GILs.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk