Broken?

John Colvin john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 11:01:22 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 17:47:56 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:
> What D needs at this point is a dictator. There are about 30
> pages of discussion about Walter's std.array.front post, and
> Steve S's counter post.
>
> It reminds me of the way it was maybe 4 years ago, when there
> was so much bickering that I just gave up for some time, and
> went away. Who is going to go through all that stuff, and
> winnow a compromise out of it. Everyone has a job, or some
> vital preoccupation with their own project.
>
> The buck has to stop somewhere - is it Walter, or Andrei, or
> can any proposal or comment be stalled by sheer weight of
> contrary views?
>
> This is probably a management issue, not a technical one.
> Trouble is there's no manager, and even if their was, he'd have
> no minions.
>
> What to do?
>
> Steve

The buck does stop with Walter and Andrei. What you're seeing is
community discussion, which informs their ultimate decisions. Are
you saying that people shouldn't be discussing language decisions
and that it should just be left to a couple of people?

Also, of course Walter can decide not to do something due to
community pressure. He has the ultimate say, it's his language,
but that doesn't mean he shouldn't listen.