Broken?

Joakim joakim at airpost.net
Tue Mar 11 11:36:07 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 17:47:56 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:
> What D needs at this point is a dictator. There are about 30
> pages of discussion about Walter's std.array.front post, and
> Steve S's counter post.
>
> It reminds me of the way it was maybe 4 years ago, when there
> was so much bickering that I just gave up for some time, and
> went away. Who is going to go through all that stuff, and
> winnow a compromise out of it. Everyone has a job, or some
> vital preoccupation with their own project.
>
> The buck has to stop somewhere - is it Walter, or Andrei, or
> can any proposal or comment be stalled by sheer weight of
> contrary views?
>
> This is probably a management issue, not a technical one.
> Trouble is there's no manager, and even if their was, he'd have
> no minions.
>
> What to do?
>
> Steve

I like it. :) It's Walter's project and he solicited opinions.
Maybe they change his mind, maybe they don't.  In this case, it
appears they did: he seems to have decided that the breakage
wouldn't be worth the speedup.  What would you prefer, that
Walter The Dictator did it anyway?  That's not how communities
work.

There is no doubt that the buck stops with the core team.  If
people don't like their decisions, they can and will leave or who
knows, fork.  If you want someone willing to go against the
grain, I have seen others here accuse Walter of being stubborn in
the past.  I don't think you can say he simply goes with the
crowd. ;)

I will agree with you on one point though.  It's not particularly
clear to an outsider what the decision-making process is with D,
ie what the deliberative process is and who ultimately decides.
If you've been around long enough and check the github pull
requests and commits, you can get a sense of it, but the roles
are not really defined.  I understand most open-source projects
work this way, but D is probably big enough now that some
exposition is helpful.

I think it'd be nice to have a page on dlang.org, whether on the
main site or the wiki, that laid out who the core team is, sort
of like a masthead in a magazine, with a paragraph or two about
each person.  This would give newcomers some bearings on who the
core team is, what their roles are, and what they do for the
project.  I'm sure anyone could figure all this out on their own
eventually, with enough time spent on the newsgroup and looking
at source commits, but the idea is to save them some time.  Just
my suggestion.