Broken?

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Mar 11 12:27:39 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 11 March 2014 at 17:47:56 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:
> What D needs at this point is a dictator. There are about 30
> pages of discussion about Walter's std.array.front post, and
> Steve S's counter post.
>
> It reminds me of the way it was maybe 4 years ago, when there
> was so much bickering that I just gave up for some time, and
> went away. Who is going to go through all that stuff, and
> winnow a compromise out of it. Everyone has a job, or some
> vital preoccupation with their own project.
>
> The buck has to stop somewhere - is it Walter, or Andrei, or
> can any proposal or comment be stalled by sheer weight of
> contrary views?
>
> This is probably a management issue, not a technical one.
> Trouble is there's no manager, and even if their was, he'd have
> no minions.
>
> What to do?
>
> Steve

It already works that way. Only thing is not obvious is actual
decision point as it is rarely announced. And as any such topic
is inherently controversial, making decision that satisfies
everyone is rarely possible and debates often continue even after
decision point.

To be honest I think real problem is directly the opposite -
decision process is too vague and limited by the bottleneck of
Andrei & Walter participation. Making it more distributed and
formalized can help - and this is more of a technical/tooling
issue.