Final by default?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Mar 12 23:47:57 PDT 2014

On 3/12/2014 10:30 PM, Manu wrote:
> Again, this is conflating random breakage with controlled deprecation.
> A clear message with a file:line that says "virtual-by-default is deprecated,
> add 'virtual' _right here_." is not comparable to the behaviour of byLine()
> silently changing from release to release and creating some bugs, or std.json
> breaking unexpectedly with no warning.

In the case I experienced, I got a clear compiler message. I knew what to fix.
It still sucked. It was "fixing" non-buggy code that was intentionally written
that way.

I don't have as much of a problem breaking things that were already broken and
happened to work out of luck, but that isn't the case here.