Final by default?

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 10:07:58 PDT 2014

Le 13/03/2014 07:47, Walter Bright a écrit :
> On 3/12/2014 10:30 PM, Manu wrote:
>> Again, this is conflating random breakage with controlled deprecation.
>> A clear message with a file:line that says "virtual-by-default is
>> deprecated,
>> add 'virtual' _right here_." is not comparable to the behaviour of
>> byLine()
>> silently changing from release to release and creating some bugs, or
>> std.json
>> breaking unexpectedly with no warning.
>
> In the case I experienced, I got a clear compiler message. I knew what
> to fix. It still sucked. It was "fixing" non-buggy code that was
> intentionally written that way.
>
> I don't have as much of a problem breaking things that were already
> broken and happened to work out of luck, but that isn't the case here.

Maybe if changes are really simple a tool can help? Tools are needed for
such kind of refactoring can be done automatically.

For some old games I wrote a script converter cause we completely broke
the syntax (from XML to Lua) with a version of our engine, we do that
because news features of engine was requested for next games updates.
It can appear like a time wasting, but it was fun to do.